Tuesday, May 11, 2010

I Think I'm Out Of Step!

Tracy was reading one of our friends face book yesterday and they were talking about her sister going to a hotel room after her prom with no adult supervision.  It made me wonder where I was when this became the acceptable practice.  Is this how it is going to be from now on, me just shaking my head at parents that think these kinds of things are OK?  The parents responded saying that they had brought up a good kid.  I've brought up a good kid so far too, but good kids still need direction in what is good for them.  The what if's keep swimming around in my head. 

Another example of me being out of step is that I hate watching TV with my kid half the time because even the "safe" shows are a little less "safe" than I would like.  We watch a lot of SciFi.  To this point it has kept Sarah pretty interested in figuring out things.  She loves to think about the science of it all and try to think if it would really work.  This was all good until they started putting both sex and the gay agenda in our regular programs.  I have been told that kids, at 11 know all about this from school and you shouldn't shelter them from it.  Sarah is not sheltered, she is informed but we don't need to see it on programs during a time of day that is supposed to be for more "family programming".  I guess I missed the memo on child rearing that told me you can't make the choice anymore.  We could turn off the TV.  We have so far chosen to fast forward as soon as these things pop up but it's getting so prevalent

I guess I'm out of step with the world now.....

No comments: