Saturday, November 13, 2010

Is Bartering Back?

 If you work in a financial area of business like I do in bookkeeping, my central activities are not connected in any real way to the basic “stuff” of living.  We would have to say I lack in basic skills that could really help out in case of emergency.  I can creatively cook, take care of my family, and do basic things...but if asked to barter for something of value when needed...that might be tough.  I've been thinking, that with the economic downturn in Vegas, many people have shifted to an "if you can do this for me then maybe I can do this for you" mentality.  It's actually kind of cool that I have a VERY handy man around that can fix almost anything and knows a lot about a lot of things.  We actually have acquantances who ask him to fix things for them rather than calling businesses because 1. they know he is basically unemployed and 2.  he's really a guy that will do it right or it will drive him crazy! 

We have a really great orthodontist.  I was talking to him (we gave him a good chunk of the insurance money) and he told me that he's been able to barter services for other services so that everyone gets what they need.  He definitely has a skill set that is valuable so he is able to get things done!  We did talk then about getting a sound system better set up in his office and home and such (I am not above bartering for our service and neither was he) and we might actually be able to work something out there to get Sarah's teeth done....we'll see about that.  But I guess it got me thinking that we all have to be open to some changes if things continue out here like they are now.

No comments: