Saturday, September 18, 2010

History can be fun......

This week a picture of my 8th grade graduation popped up on facebook.  One of my friends commented that I should check it out and see if I could find myself in the picture.  And the adventure began.....

I haven't spent a lot of time thinking about grade school.  Anyone who knows me, knows that I've put most of my early life behind me.  I always felt out of pace with my upbringing.  I'm starting to think now, it had more to do with my folks moving every year until we moved to South Bend in 1972.  Until then, I had attended 3 other schools.  Nuner was a scary place.  Everyone seemed to know everyone and their extended family seemed to live around the same area.  I was "the new kid", and if I fit, I didn't know it because I was so insecure about being the "new kid".

Fast forward to this week.  When the picture surfaced and people from my class started talking I realized that we are all really normal people.  We have lives, kids, experiences and I'm no different.  All the "popular" kids are just people too...and the geeks like me turned out just fine from what I can figure out.  I'm sad that to find that some of those little faces are no longer with us.  I only have vague memories of them but they exist as part of the time when my family finally set down roots and gave me a history to be able to look back on. 

Life is good and old friends and new are a great blessing


Nuner 1976 graduation.jpg

2 comments:

Matthew Barnes said...

Tish - It has been a blessing to reconnect with you after all these years. This photo has elicited so many memories and feelings and through it I am connecting with many others. I am glad that you see how the cliques seem to fade and we all are dealing with the challenges life puts before us. I have a great life because of people like you and I value the friendship we are again creating over the years and the miles. God bless you real good, my friend...
Matthew Barnes

Freebies, Deals, Coupons, and More said...

Thank you so much Matt...it's kind of fun to see how e very muchveryone has turned out. I'm liking what facebook has allowed us to do. I appreciate your friendship