Thursday, February 25, 2010

Scolarships and Grants

Search & Win

This weekend I spoke with a parent from our private school and she is looking at grants and scholarships. She said something interesting. "We don't really have to worry because we have our minority status."

It's true. My caucasian kid is at a disadvantage and there's nothing I can do about that part of it. Maybe I can find some hidden minority genetics I'm not aware of in order to get the grants and scholarships for her.

You might be wondering why I should worry about this issue 5-6 years ahead of it being an issue, but I'm a bit of a planner. I wonder if they will consider her a minority by the time she hits college? Caucasians may be a minority of the population by then.

As everyone is aware, we are planning to make it out of the Nevada school system before Sarah goes to high school if possible. I can't imagine we are at any kind of an advantage educationally. In fact, my guess is that we are very far behind. Maybe we can get some kind of grant for having to deal with a "disadvantaged" school system!

Just thinking.....
Originally posted 2/25/10 on Facebook blog