Friday, April 20, 2012

Top 10 Birthday Wishes!

Certain birthdays have special significance to some people.  I tell you honestly I am not a birthday person...just don't care but I do know there is a whole line of greeting cards devoted to certain years of your life 16, 21, 30, 40, etc. This week, I might receive those insulting cards in black...or better yet, talking about the "Big 5-0".  My dad has been trying to torture me with the significance for a while but it's just not meaning a lot to me. I'm thinking I'm still of reasonably sound mind and body, so I have "little old right hand" up today to vow on my Top ten wishes for my 50th birthday.

10. I'm going to try to eat right and exercise more so I can hang around with my wonderful husband, kid, grandkids, friends, and family.
9.   I'm not going to ever buy into our government, Wall Street's, or even the neighbor's definition of "success." I love this Jennifer James quote about success:  "It is not a destination that you ever reach. Success is the quality of your journey.'
8. I refuse to disregard the younger generation. My generation hasn't done an awful lot to "save the world" so I've got to think someone is coming up who just might be able to get something  done!  
7. I swear I won't play my version of the "oldies" all the time.  I would like to be that cool old lady that still knows who the more relevant artists are out there even if I don't necessarily like them...or maybe I will!  Who really knows :)
6.  I'm not going to obsess about my cholesterol level! Yes, yes I know it's important...I know half of you will take the medication willingly, but I'm just not going to worry about it right now...sorry
5. I will make up my own political mind yep, I refuse to say that any political party speaks for me.  I speak for me.  I will hold on to my strength of conviction but I promise I'll listen to all points of view...you may even change my mind on a few things!
4. I'm going to use technology and become comfortable with new things as they come along. I'm not wanting to become that little old lady that is afraid of her new TV or computer because it has all those new gadgets :)  I will try to keep learning always!
3. I will not forget where I came from. I want to remain that mid-western girl that believes in people and believes that good can happen even in a bad place.  I want to remember my parents lessons to fight for what I believe in and who I believe in even when it's not convenient!
2. I want to love and be loved. It's sad to meet people that don't have someone there with them at the end of their life.  I would love to be that little old lady holding hands with her little old man in her final hours surrounded by those who have meant the most in life. 
1. Most of all, I want to hear "Well done, good and faithful servant." I pray I do well by all my family, friends, people I've met along the way and that I can be the person I have been called to be.
 
So, if I get lost along the way I hope you will keep me accountable! Thanks to all who cared this week to wish me a good birthday.  It is a blessing

No comments: